1. What time did you get up this morning?
My alarm goes off at 4:45am, and I get to work for around 5:30am. I like to do a bit of admin before starting to set up the bakery at 6am.
2. How do you take your coffee?
In the mornings, always a short black and usually an iced latte in the afternoon too.
3. What do you usually have for breakfast?
A short black! I usually have something to eat around 10ish. At the moment I’m quite partial to one of our freshly baked plain croissants with butter and marmalade.
4. How long have you been working for GAIL’s?
I’ve been working for GAIL’s in Hove since January 2017. I came on as a shift leader and after two months, I was promoted to Assistant Bakery Manager, then promoted again to Bakery Manager in April this year.
5. What’s the first food you remember loving as a child?
As a child, I loved peanut butter on toast. I remember getting home from school with my sister, Sarah, and mum would make us peanut butter on toast while we were watching Neighbours.
6. Have you ever baked bread? How did it go?
I actually studied baking and cake decorating at college many years ago! I baked all sorts of bread, but the one that I remember most fondly was a white, plaited milk loaf. It was truly delicious still warm from the oven.
7. What does the smell of freshly baked bread remind you of?
Home and warmth (and college, of course).
8. What do you spread on your toast?
9. What is the best part of your day?
Walking to work early in the morning. It’s very quiet and peaceful, and it gives me a chance to plan my day.
10. What’s in your ultimate sandwich?
Two slices of toasted Barnes Sandwich Loaf, topped with slices of ripe tomato, a good quality mozzarella, big chunks of soft avocado, freshly torn basil, seasoning, and a drizzle of both olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Delicious!
11. If we could give you a lifetime supply of anything from GAIL’s, what would that be?
Ah, this question! I go through phases with favourite breads, favourite cakes, favourite savouries etc, but my answer would have to be our coffee. I have been a big fan of good quality coffee for many years and the flavour and strength of our House Blend are just about perfect for me.
12. Our bread is made with three primary ingredients. Four if you include time. What are the main ingredients in your life and work, concrete or abstract?
Putting 100% into whatever I choose to do, patience, level-headedness, and trying to maintain a good work/life balance.
13. What would you do for a living, if not this?
I would be running my own traditional tea room, with top quality tea and coffee, and an abundance of homemade cakes.