To coincide with our 13th birthday, we asked Tom, our CEO and co-founder, our Baker’s Dozen of questions to find out how he takes his coffee and where his love for bread began.
1. What time did you get up this morning?
3am to take care of my hungry jet-lagged 11 year old and then again at 0630h – normal time to let the dog out, wake the kids and make a coffee.
2. How do you take your coffee?
I like it black – double espressos for me.
3. What do you usually have for breakfast?
I love porridge and a digestive.
4. Why do you think good bread is so important?
It is versatile and healthy.
4. What’s the first food you remember loving as a child?
My great-grandmom’s bread – her name was actually Grandmom Bread.
5. Have you ever baked bread? How did that go?
Tried once and it was a disaster. My pancakes are better, my scrambled eggs are superb.
6. What does the smell of freshly baked bread remind you of?
A simple table in a simple kitichen.
7. What do you spread on your toast?
I love a good rich butter, but recently I have fallen for whey.
8. What is the best part of your day?
The part after your first coffee.
9. What’s in your ultimate sandwich?
Tomatoes and buffalo mozzarella.
10. What GAIL’s product could you never live without?
The seeded crackers.
11. Bread is made with three primary ingredients. Four if you include time. What are the main ingredients in your life and work, concrete or abstract?
I need family, poetry, laughter and water.
12. What would you do for a living, if not this?
I wanted to be a fish farmer. I still have time.