Coconut Hot Chocolate Recipe
Inspired by a recent trip to Sri Lanka, our coffee guru Jessica has created a coconut hot chocolate, infused with cinnamon. Perfect for chilly mornings at home.
To make two small mugs:
- 3 tbsp 100% cocoa powder (we used Zuma, a natural-process Peruvian cocoa)
- 1 tbsp organic coconut syrup, or agave also works well
- 500ml unsweetened coconut milk (we used Plenish, which has a dash of salt)
- 1 Ceylon cinnamon stick
- A pinch of ground cinnamon, to serve
- 1 tbsp hot water
- Pour the coconut milk into a saucepan and heat on a low flame, adding the cinnamon stick.
- Spoon 3 tbsp of cocoa powder into a cup, then add a splash of boiling hot water to make it into a smooth paste, working out any lumps with the back of a spoon. Add a splash more water until it’s a creamy consistency.
- Add the coconut syrup to the cocoa powder mixture, starting with 1 tbsp. (You can add more at the end, to taste)
- Once the coconut milk is hot, take the saucepan off the heat and remove the cinnamon stick.
- Stir in the cocoa mixture until it’s thoroughly combined. Taste for sweetness, adding more coconut syrup if necessary.
- Pour into mugs and sprinkle with ground cinnamon. Curling up on the sofa highly recommended.