RECIPE: HOT CROSS BUNS WITH A TWIST
We’re always looking for ways to reduce our food waste and this year our bakers are giving a second life to day-old Hot Cross Buns. Introducing the Bacon Hot Cross Bun.
To make these maple bacon filled buns, follow the recipe below.
- 1 GAIL’s Hot Cross Bun (or find the recipe here to make them from scratch)
- 3 rashers of streaky bacon
- Maple syrup, we use Buckwud maple syrup
- Add oil to a frying pan and heat. Once the pan is hot add the bacon and fry on both sides until crispy
- Add 1 tablespoon of maple syrup to the bacon and cook for a further minute
- While the bacon is cooking, slice your hot cross bun in half and lightly toast it
Top tip – place the bun face down on top of the toaster, not inside, so it doesn’t get stuck
- Butter the toasted hot cross bun and place the bacon inside
- Finish with a drizzle of maple syrup for the perfect sweet and salty combination