We asked Birute, our Team Leader in Summertown, our Baker’s Dozen of Questions to find out about her two years with GAIL’s, baking bread and how she takes her coffee.
1. What time did you get up this morning?
I get up at 4:45, start the day with a mug of coffee and the TV news then get ready to go.
2. How do you take your coffee?
At home, first thing in the morning, I usually have a big mug of strong filter coffee without milk or sugar. Once I get to work, I love a flat white made with our GAIL’s House Blend.
3. What do you usually have for breakfast?
It varies – either toast with butter, pancakes, poached eggs, or granola with yoghurt.
4. How long have you been working for GAIL’s?
I’ve been working at GAIL’s for over two years. I started as a Customer Service Assistant in Summertown when the bakery first opened there and since then, I have moved up to Team Leader and now train new starters when they join the team. I love my job as I get to work with people, great quality coffee and food (especially the breads) and I enjoy providing excellent customer service to our customers.
5. What’s the first food you remember loving as a child?
My grandmother used to make crêpes with homemade cream and strawberries. It reminds me of times spent with her and sister in my grandmother’s house in the countryside with its huge garden, and how we used to sit in the kitchen near the fireplace hearing stories from her past.
6. Have you ever baked bread? How did it go?
Yes; my mum used to bake white bread and I used to help her when I was a child. Later in life, when I worked as a pastry chef, I used to bake brioche, baguettes and walnut bread – they turned out really well!
7. What does the smell of freshly baked bread remind you of?
My mum’s kitchen.
8. What do you spread on your toast?
Either butter, soft cheese or pâté.
9. What is the best part of your day?
The best part of my day is when I start work. I enjoy it because I have a lot of energy and it’s great to see to see my lovely coworkers and regular customers.
10. What’s in your ultimate sandwich?
My ultimate sandwich would be prawns, hard boiled eggs, iceberg lettuce and mayo on our Barnes Sandwich Loaf.
11. If we could give you a lifetime supply of anything from GAIL’s, what would that be?
The Honey & Almond Sourdough. It doesn’t matter whether it’s toasted or not, it always tastes amazing and I can’t get enough of it.
12. Our bread is made with three primary ingredients. Four if you include time. What are the main ingredients in your life and work, concrete or abstract?
Coffee, bread, smiles and positive vibes. But more seriously, I always try to treat people the way I would like to be treated, and be respectful of others. A sense of humour is also a very important and helps me even in the most difficult of situations.
13. What would you do for a living, if not this?
Either a psychologist or a pastry chef.