Hand-cooked in small batches and made from award-winning potatoes sustainably grown on their Herefordshire estate, Two Farmers crisps not only add the perfect crunch to your lunch but also make for an excellent vegan and gluten-free snack.
Creating the crisp
Legend has it that crisps came about as a result of a chef’s rebellion. The story goes that in 1853, a hotel diner kept sending his chips back to the kitchen, complaining that they weren’t thin enough. Eventually, the chef became so exasperated that he cut wafer-thin slices of potato, cooked them in oil until they were crispy, and sent them out to the customer to teach him a lesson. However, the joke backfired because the diner loved them.
What made these crisps truly special was that they were made by hand, in a small batch, with the utmost care and attention. They were crafted to be savoured by real people, rather than packaged anonymously in a bag. At GAIL’s, we appreciate the same level of attention to detail that a chef would put into his food. That’s why we’re excited to launch our partnership with Two Farmers crisps.
Bringing crisps to our bakeries
It was always going to take a special crisp to make it into our bakeries. From the moment we tried Two Farmers crisps, we knew they were a natural fit. And with their commitment to using locally-sourced, high-quality ingredients and sustainable production methods, we recognised a partner who shared our values.
Mark and Sean are the founders of Two Farmers, who lovingly hand-cook their exceptional crisps in small batches to achieve their eye-catching golden colour and distinctive crunch. With an infectious passion for potatoes and a deep-rooted respect for the planet, they have created a range of crisps that are an ode to Herefordshire. Incredibly, Two Farmers crisps can go from field to shop in less than 30 minutes.
Chosen for their excellent fry colour, Two Farmers crisps are made with Lady Claire, Lady Rosetta and Taurus potatoes. Their award-winning potatoes are homegrown, hand-cooked and then flavoured using only the finest local ingredients.
Then they go into 100% compostable packets which will break down in a home composting environment. Just another way in which they are giving back to the countryside. This whole process takes place on their Herefordshire farm; powered by renewable energy, naturally. These are farmers with one foot rooted in the soil, the other firmly planted in the future. With Two Farmers crisps, you’re not just getting a snack. You’re getting a taste of tradition and heritage while supporting small-scale farmers who care about their craft. With three unique flavours to choose from, Two Farmers crisps are the perfect complement to our artisanal baked goods:
- Lightly Salted – Lightly seasoned with Droitwich Salt, which is harvested by hand from their natural springs and crystallised using renewable energy. Gluten-free and suitable for vegans.
- Hereford Hop Cheese & Onion – Seasoned with deliciously sharp and sweet Hereford Hop cheese, which is made by artisan cheesemakers Charles Martell & Sons and onions grown on their Herefordshire farm. Gluten-free and suitable for vegetarians.
- Woodland Mushroom & Wild Garlic – Flavoured with woodland mushrooms and a hint of wild garlic for a distinctive taste of the English countryside. Gluten-free and suitable for vegans
Pairings by GAIL’s
If we can make a suggestion. Try pairing your Two Farmers crisps with complementary flavours from our sandwiches and salads to take your lunch to a whole new level. Here are some of our favourite pairings:
- For meat eaters, enjoy the delicate flavours of our Mortadella and Ricotta Sandwich, with parmesan butter and pesto, alongside our vibrant Summer Pepper Slaw dressed in creamy miso almond dressing. Add Two Farmers Hereford Hop Cheese & Onion crisps to round out the meal with a satisfying crunch.
- There is also our Chicken Parmesan Sandwich which goes well alongside our Summer Pepper Slaw Salad and Two Farmers Lightly Salted crisps.
- For pescatarians, we recommend pairing a Smoked Salmon Bagel with our Courgette and Muhammara Salad and Two Farmers Woodland Mushroom & Wild Garlic crisps for a well-balanced and light lunch.
- Vegetarians can enjoy our Heritage Tomato Bagel, filled with juicy tomatoes and homemade pesto, with our vibrant Courgette and Muhammara Salad and Two Farmers Woodland Mushroom & Wild Garlic crisps. The fresh flavours of the bagel, the tangy zest of the salad and the earthiness of the crisps blend seamlessly to make a deliciously satisfying lunch. These are flavours that are very happy together.
Snack, side or sandwich companion, Two Farmers crisps are good every day, anyway. Hand-cooked with care and respect for the planet, these gluten-free crisps reflect the passion and dedication of the two farmers who created them, with options suitable for vegans and vegetarians.